Saturday, January 31, 2015

Le Chevalier discourses regarding his British Infantry Rifle

The Quest for a British Infantry Rifle, end of chapter one
So, I started my Quest for a British Infantry Rifle and the kit to go with over two and a half years ago.
Here are the links for the first two installments, originally published on the Gentlemanly Pursuits blog:
I did indeed receive my rifle soon after that last posting, so just over two years ago. There was a bit of a problem with the hardness of the frizzen and angle of the hammer, but local gunsmith Jerry Cook fixed these in short order.
I switched from the officers' style cartridge box to an other ranks box. I did this mostly for conveniance, but also for more usable storage space. I am not firing from paper cartridges, but I do carry enough ball, patch and powder to fire 60+ rounds before restocking.
I fire a .610” round ball with a 0.015” patch and a powder charge of 80 grains of 3F. Most of the people I shoot with shoot 40-50 caliber, so it is pretty noticeable when the Baker goes off. We were shooting to snuff candles a couple months back and the turbulence caused by the .610” ball sometimes put out two candles.
So, chapter one is done. I have the rifle and kit and am shooting regularly.
The next step I decided on was to pick a proper uniform to wear while shooting. The obvious choice would be 60th or 95th rifles, but as much fun as the greenjacket would be, that would be too easy.
The Chasseurs Britanniques was originally the French Royalist army led by the Prince of Conde in the early days of the French Revolution. By 1803 they were in British service as the Chasseurs Britanniques and issued the famous red coats. Evidence suggests that like some of the other emigre units in British service (King's German Legion for one) that the Chasseurs may have been issued Baker rifles, at least for the light company. Well, that is where I am going. Starting at the top I have my shako with proper insignia.
~ Chevalier

2 comments:

  1. It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. British expats in China

    ReplyDelete